Thursday 21 August 2014

a valuable lesson learned

if you open your heart to hearing what God is saying, you can learn a lot through the experiences in life that you have and the situations you encounter. 

lately i have been struggling with keeping my mouth shut. i often times find myself in arguments or getting defensive and lashing out at friends and family. other times i find myself interjecting my opinions where they aren't needed or wanted at that time. as well, i always try and fix things that sometimes cannot be fixed and should be left to work out for themselves. 


i learned a valuable lesson this evening, oddly enough, through my dead plant. 


i got this beautiful, unique succulent from a friend's wedding. it was the centre piece of the table where i was seated. i was thrilled to be able to bring this plant home, to love it and nurture it while it grew. 



well, tonight i realized that my plant had died. i killed it by feeding it too much. knowing very little about succulents, mostly because i hadn't spent time researching or learning about them, i only knew that they didn't have to be watered very often. i know other plants are supposed to be fed once or twice a day, so i thought once a week would be perfect for my succulent. 

well, it wasn't. my plant drowned because i didn't take the time to find out its true needs and i kept trying to feed it when all the while it didn't need any water at all. 


through this experience i have learned that sometimes people [or plants] need to grow on their own, and even when i am trying to help and doing what i think is right, sometimes i just need to stand by and wait, watch and be there, instead of injecting my opinion, help [or water], when it will only hinder the growth of the individual [or plant].


also, by not taking the time to listen, get to know the person, or in this case, research about the plant, then what i think is helping, isn't really helping at all, it's quite the opposite actually. 


so, here's to growth in myself as a person & to my new plant which i will research how to care and love, very soon. 


in omnia paratus

No comments:

Post a Comment